Welcome to the Texas Abuse Hotline Website
The Department of Family and Protective Services provides this secure website for reporting suspicions of abuse, neglect and exploitation of children, adults with disabilities, or people 65 years or older.
Use this website to report situations that do not need to be investigated right away. It may take more than 48 hours to process online reports due to high volume.
Do not use this website to report urgent or emergency situations.
- Call the Texas Abuse Hotline (1-800-252-5400) if your situation is urgent and needs to be investigated within 24 hours.
- Call 911 or your local law enforcement agency if you have an emergency or life-threatening situation that must be dealt with immediately.
Effective September 1, 2023, DFPS cannot accept anonymous reports of abuse and neglect involving children and their families. Reporters must provide a first and last name and home or business phone number to meet new reporting requirements. Anonymous reports of child abuse and neglect may be made to local and state law enforcement agencies instead. Reporters’ names are confidential by law.
When do I call the Texas Abuse Hotline instead of using this website?
Call the Texas Abuse Hotline when the situation is urgent. Urgent means someone faces an immediate risk of abuse or neglect that could result in death or serious harm. Call the Texas Abuse Hotline at 1-800-252-5400 for situations including but not limited to:
- Serious injuries
- Any injury to a child 5 years or younger
- Immediate need for medical treatment (including suicidal thoughts)
- Sexual abuse where the abuser has or will have access to the victim within the next 24 hours
- Children age five and under are alone or are likely to be left alone within the next 24 hours
- Anytime you believe your situation requires action in less than 24 hours
If you are deaf, deaf-blind, hard of hearing, or speech-disabled you can call by using the relay service of your choice or by using Relay Texas
at 7-1-1. Tell the relay operator to call the Texas Abuse Hotline at (800) 252-5400.
Call the Texas Abuse Hotline if for any reason you have trouble reporting your concerns on this website.
When do I report to HHSC Complaint and Incident Intake (CII) instead of the Texas Abuse Hotline?
Effective September 1, 2023, reports of abuse, neglect, and exploitation of consumers by a Home and Community Support Service Agency (HCSSA) provider
(i.e., home health or hospice provider), regardless of payment source (Medicaid, Medicare, private pay) will transition from DFPS to HHSC Complaint and Incident Intake (CII).
These concerns will not be investigated by DFPS.